This cake is baked inside a hollowed out orange and infused with orange scents throughout. We stuck a piece of chocolate in the middle of the batter before baking. Whatever batter was left over after filling all our oranges we cooked in a skillet like a pancake and nibbled on that while we waited for the cake to bake in the fire. We put the leftover pulp and juices into our red wine glasses for impromptu sangrias.
Easy Campfire Orange Cake
Your favorite white or yellow or chocolate cake batter
Thick skinned navel oranges
Squares of chocolate (optional)
- Cut the tops off the oranges and carefully hollow out the orange with a spoon.
- Fill 3/4 full with cake batter. Press in a piece of chocolate if using.
- Place orange top back on the orange, wrap tightly in foil and throw onto smoldering (not flaming) campfire.
- Turn every once in awhile. After 20 or 30 minutes, check an orange by opening it up. The skin will be charred but the inside should be nicely fluffy. If using an oven, bake as if you would a cupcake.
- Grab a spoon and eat right out of the orange.